Address: D40, 9th Cross, Canara Bank Layout, Kodigehalli, Bangalore 560097, India
Wildlife hunting and trade, community-based management of natural resources, human-wildlife interactions, ecological statistics
M.S. in Conservation Biology Dec. 2016
State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry (SUNY-ESF), Syracuse, New York
Thesis: Effects of microhabitat on forest small mammal populations in northeast India
B.E. in Electronics Engineering June 2011
Mumbai University- D.J. Sanghvi College of Engineering, Mumbai
- Karanth K.K., Kudalkar S. (in review). Re-building Communities: Voluntary Resettlement from Wildlife Reserves in India. Conservation Letters
- Karanth K.K., Kudalkar S. (2017). History, Location, and Species Matter: Insights for Human-wildlife Conflict Mitigation from India. Human Dimensions of Wildlife, 22(4): 331–246
- Kudalkar S., Katdare B., Ghadge S. (2014). Observations of the Indian White-backed vulture (Gyps bengalensis) colony at Srivardhan, district Raigad during the breeding season of 2011–2012. Newsletter for Birdwatchers, 54(2): 17.
- Dedhia P., Kanetkar K., Kudalkar S., Sankhe D. (2011). Car Data Recorder. Technofocus, 2(1): 55–58
- Pendharkar A., Thorat O., Mehta P., Patil P., Kolekar R., Kudalkar S., Bhatia S., Tank M. and Khare V. (2008). Study of impact of urban biodiversity documentation on urban youth. SPROUTS–PUKAR: Report
Research Consultant, Centre for Wildlife Studies, Bangalore Mar 2017–present
- Analyzing bird detection and count data from 187 agroforests in the Western Ghats to estimate species abundance using multi-species N-mixture models
- (in review) Analyzed socio-economic data from 592 surveys that explored motivations behind voluntary relocation in India using generalized linear models
- Assisted in the design and development of eight grant proposals (two successfully funded) for the conservation initiative ‘Wild Seve’ that focuses on human-wildlife conflict mitigation and management around Nagarahole and Bandipur tiger reserves at Karnataka
Explored how demographics, and conflict characteristics affect mitigation use from 6000 human wildlife conflict surveys from the periphery of 14 protected areas in India using generalized linear models (published)
Centre for Wildlife Studies, Bangalore Jan. 2014, Sep. 2013
Human-wildlife conflict around protected areas in India
Surveyed 75+ rural households using questionnaire surveys to understand socio-economic factors and attitudes associated with human wildlife conflicts in western India
WILD Society, Coimbatore Oct. 2013, Jul. 2013
Evaluation and Impact of the Chytrid fungus on Amphibians of the Western Ghats
Collected chytrid samples from amphibians in the Western Ghats using non-destructive swabbing protocol
Yashwant Yuva Fellow, Sahyadri Nisarga Mitra, Chiplun Jun. 2011–Jul. 2012
Project Officer (Gyps Vulture Conservation)
- Engaged in awareness meetings with veterinarians against Diclofenac drug prescription to cattle, and coordinated with cattle owners to maintain a vulture feeding ground at Anjarle, Ratnagiri, western India
- Managed a community-based eco-tourism initiative in the coastal village of Velas, western India by coordinating between local home-stays and tourists, training volunteers to manage tourists during the sea turtle egg hatching season and maintaining records of daily sea turtle hatchling release.
- Engaged in outreach including film screenings, discussions, presentations with both urban tourists and middle-school students from local educational institutions
Presentations and Talks
- Kudalkar S, Karanth KK (2017). History, Location, and Species Matter: Insights for Human-wildlife Conflict Mitigation from India. Student Conference on Conservation Science, Bangalore, India.
- Kudalkar S (2017). A Rodent’s Perspective. 3-minute speed talk. SPEEC Up, Bangalore, India.
- Kudalkar S, Tamma K, Björklund M, Silva AP (2015). Habitat correlates of the forest small mammal community in northeast India. Student Conference on Conservation Science, Bangalore, India.
Teaching Assistant Oct. 2017–Dec 2017
Duke University, Global Semester Abroad Program
Conservation and Development: Instructed a class on wildlife hunting and fishing in the tropics for undergraduate students, organized field trips, and travel across different field sites in Karnataka
Graduate Teaching Assistant Jan. 2016, Aug. 2012–May 2013
SUNY-ESF, Dept. of Environmental and Forest Biology
General Biology Laboratory I & II (EFB 102, Fall 2012 & Spring 2013)
Marine Ecology (EFB 423, Spring 2016)